Strachur Community Council
Minutes of Ordinary Meeting
Held 19.30 on Wednesday 15th January 2020
Strathlachlan Community Centre

 

Members present: Ceci Alderton, Archie Reid (Convener), Isabel McGladdery, Kirstie Reid, Iain Wilkie (Secretary).

Also in attendance: Cllr Gordon Blair, Cllr Alan Reid, PC Laura Evans, and one member of the public.

 

1. Convener’s opening remarks:

Archie welcomed everyone to the meeting. Archie acknowledged the loss of our Vice- Convener, John Fleming, who died on 21st December 2019. He described John as "a gentleman" who had a fund of local knowledge. Archie also referred to John's involvement with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme and the Strachur branch of the Royal British Legion. He would be greatly missed.

 

2. Apologies and declarations of interest:

Cllr McNeilly, Bob Darracott and Jeff Wilson apologised for non-attendance. There were no declarations of interest.

 

3. Minutes.

Minutes for the Ordinary Meeting held on 11th December 2019 were agreed as accurate.

 

4. Matters arising.

a. Electric vehicle charging points.

Iain had informed Cllr Reid that the preferred locations for electric vehicle charging points were firstly the Heron Park car park and secondly the Filling Station. Cllr Reid had forwarded this information to Argyll & Bute Council and had commented that at present there was no money for these, but more money for charging points would be expected from the Scottish Government in the future and these locations could be considered then.

 

b. Scottish Water issues.

Iain had sent Scottish Water an e-mail and letter on 7.1.20 regarding pipe breaks at High Hall and Forest View, and the lack of any response to previous enquiries. Acknowledgements had been received on 7.1.20 and 14.1.20. This issue would be pursued as necessary.

ACTION: Iain

 

c. Antisocial camping at St. Catherines.

Iain had informed the resident who first alerted the CC to the problem of antisocial camping at St. Catherines that 'No overnight camping signs' could be erected in the vicinity of the Old Ferry Inn.

 

d. Proposed residential housing development.

Iain had submitted comments on this proposal to Argyll & Bute Council on 17.12.19. A member of the public raised concerns that, if this development went ahead, houses behind might be affected by chimney smoke, and also that, were the new access road to be adopted by Argyll & Bute Council, street lighting would be installed. It was agreed that a watching brief should be kept on this proposal.

 

e. Location of 40 mph speed limit sign on A886.

Iain had sent an e-mail on 6.1.20 to Mr Paul Farrell, Traffic & Development Officer, Argyll & Bute Council, requesting that the sign be moved to where the pavement starts. Mr Farrell had responded on 7.1.20: "There are no plans to extend the 40 mph speed restriction on A886 to the south. The existing footway provides a safer walking surface than pedestrians walking on the edge of the carriageway within a National Speed Restriction." 

 

f. Road signs at A815/A886 junction.

In the e-mail referred to above Iain had also reminded Mr Farrell that these signs had still to be replaced. Mr Farrell had replied that, since it was a maintenance issue, he had forwarded the e- mail to Operational Services. Cllr Reid offered to follow this up.

ACTION: Cllrs Blair/McNeilly/Reid

 

g. Argyll Rally 2020.

Iain had provided an e-mail expressing the Community Council's support.

 

h. Variable Message Sign at A815/A886 junction.

Archie would ask if the sign could be used to remind drivers of the 40 mph speed limit at the next meeting of the Cowal Transport Forum in March. Cllr Reid would contact BEAR Scotland to find out when this sign and the VMS at Kilmun would be repaired.

ACTION: Archie, Cllrs Blair/McNeilly/Reid

 

5. Police Report.

PC Evans informed the meeting that over the past month there had been nine incidents, none generating a crime report. One had involved a suspicious person in an unmarked van selling Honda generators, and the public were encouraged to report any similar sightings to Police Scotland.

 

PC Evans was keen to encourage more members of the community to apply to be Special Constables and sought ideas on how this could be achieved. Iain offered to submit an article for the Newsletter and Facebook page.

ACTION: Iain

 

Speed Detection Devices were now available for the Community Speedwatch initiative. Archie would bring this up at the next meeting of the Caucus.

ACTION: Archie

 

In February police officers would be acquiring mobile devices to replace notebooks.

 

The way Police Scotland handle calls would be changing soon. Calls would be risk-assessed and callers would be given either an estimated time of arrival or, if the situation was not urgent, an appointment time. Iain would submit an article on this for the Newsletter and Facebook page.

ACTION: Iain

 

PC Evans would send Iain 60 stickers for the 'Go Wheelie Slow' initiative.

Action: PC Evans

 

6. Health Report.

There was nothing to report.

 

7. Secretary’s Report.

Since the last meeting two articles had been submitted to the Newsletter, on: Review of the Health & Social Care Integration Scheme and Strategic Transport Project Review 2.

 

The main correspondence (in addition to any mentioned elsewhere) had been with:

a. Muirden Energy LLP and Evie Campbell (Hall bookings) regarding the Creag Dhubh wind farm proposal. A full planning application had been submitted to Argyll & Bute Council and Muirden had given the CC a set of planning documents. Once these had been validated by ABC, they would be available to view in the Memorial Hall on set dates and times, which would be publicised. Iain had also received a message via the community website from Mr David Jardine, Chairman of the Argyll Raptor Study Group, which gave ARSG's views on the suitability of the wind farm site; this information was intended primarily for Lochgoilhead CC in advance of a meeting on the wind farm to be held in Lochgoilhead on 21.1.20, with Strachur CC being copied in as a matter of courtesy.

b. Heather Grier regarding Manse Gardens. Heather had suggested that MG tenants might welcome a meeting with CC and PPG members to discuss options for the future and, if appropriate, to help them make a submission to the Trust Housing Association. Iain had offered to attend such a meeting.

 

8. Treasurer’s report.

The bank balance stood at £2,293.90.

 

9. Transport update.

The next meeting of Cowal Transport Forum would be in March. Archie reminded the meeting that the white lining of recently re-surfaced roads had still not been completed. Cllr Reid offered to look into this.

ACTION: Cllrs Blair/McNeilly/Reid

 

There was discussion around certain individuals causing repeated serious disturbances on West Coast Motors' school bus to Carrick Castle. WCM had stated that these individuals could not be banned from using the school bus because it was a "supported service". Cllr Blair offered to investigate this further.

ACTION: Cllrs Blair/McNeilly/Reid

 

10. Twinning proposal update.

There was nothing to report.

 

11. National Park Update.

Bob Darracott reported by e-mail that this had been a very quiet time relative to NP matters in and around the Strachur area. The NP had now launched their Volunteer Ranger and Camp Site Warden recruitment campaign. Full details were on the NP web site.

 

12. A.O.B.

a. School crossing patroller.

Cllr Reid said that the former school crossing patroller had retired and the Council had no reserve staff to step in. The post had been advertised, but there had been no applications. It had been advertised again with a closing date of 30th January. Iain would put up notices publicising the vacancy on the CC noticeboards and would ask Les Earle to post information on the community Facebook page.

ACTION: Iain

 

b. VE Day: 75th anniversary on 8.5.20.

It was agreed that the CC should provide financial support for the VE Day events.

 

c. Review of the Health & Social Care Integration Scheme.

Iain would make a submission on behalf of the CC.

ACTION: Iain

 

d. Proposed Local Development Plan 2.

Community Councils had been asked to comment on the proposed plan. As far as Strachur was concerned, the main issue was the three areas allocated for housing, which had been carried over from LDP1. Although all were smaller than in LDP1, they still represented a potential total of 47 housing units and it was uncertain if the existing infrastructure (electricity, mains water and sewerage) could cope with such an increase in demand. Iain would submit comments on behalf of the CC.

ACTION: Iain

 

13. Date and location of next meeting.

The next meeting would be at 19:30, Wednesday 11th March 2020 in Strachur Memorial Hall.

 

Iain Wilkie

Secretary, Strachur Community Council