Village Halls and Sports Centre in Strachur and District
Strachur Memorial Hall
Strachur Memorial Hall, built in 1923, is a highly valued facility which was extensively modified and refurbished in 1999 when the New Hall and ancillary offices were built for the Millenium. A committee comprising 6 elected officers, 6 additional elected members and representatives of about 20 regular user groups meets quarterly to direct the management of the hall. Day-to-day management is delegated to an Executive Committee made up of the elected officers. The maintenance and management of the hall is almost entirely by volunteer labour with only one paid employee - a very efficient part-time cleaner. The Memorial Hall Committee is a registered charity.
The user groups are responsible for the majority of the 1000+ bookings annually but both halls are also booked out for wedding receptions, dances, concerts, exhibitions, charity functions and by local companies such as the National Park and Forest Enterprise.
Bookings and enquiries: Frieda Bos, email: email@example.com, tel. 01369 860272.
Strathlachlan Community Centre
Strathlachlan has its own community centre, established in 1986 in the former Strathlachlan Primary School (closed 1974). It is run by volunteers for the benefit of the community, and there is an active programme of events all year round. The hall has limited facilities compared to those in Strachur, Cairndow and other local halls.
It is hoped to build a small committee/meeting room to increase the flexibility of hall use and also extend the kitchen and improve the ablutions so that the hall can better serve the needs of both young and old in Cowal, as well as those from further afield (eg orienteering groups).
Bookings and enquiries: tel. 01369 860233 or 860329.
Strachurmore Sports Centre and Pavilion
Bookings and enquiries: Gerry Gibson, tel 01369 860744
Location of the halls and sports centre
View Strachur Halls in a larger map