Heritage

Update February 2015

The Strachur & District Local History Society was formed in 2007 to record and preserve local heritage and has a regular programme of talks about the area. Other local assets include Iron Age Forts, Castle Lachlan and the recently upgraded Kilmorie Chapel with their Clan MacLachlan links, the churches and graveyards at Strathlachlan and Strachur, Strachur House with its links to Sir Fitzroy Maclean and Glenbranter and its links with Sir Harry Lauder. Strachur Smiddy Museum houses a number of historic artefacts and features demonstrations of blacksmithing on some summer weekends.

February 2008

12.1    Sites and features and other assets

The district is dotted with sites of archaeological and historical significance.

There is evidence for settlement in Strachur and District since prehistoric times with each period being represented in the archaeological record. There was a circle of twelve stones on the shinty field at the front of Strachur House: until recently one stone stood upright but that has now gone. No traces of the circle now remain. There are two possible ancient standing stones at Strathlachlan: one now missing at Barnacarry, one at Portindrain and a set of cup and ring markings on the island at Newton which also contains the remains of an Iron Age fort.

There are the impressive remains of a dun and outworks at An Dun in Inverglen, Strachur and a possible crannog in Loch Eck just north of Island Farm.

Strachur churchyard has possibly been used for burials for 1000 years, it is believed that there are graves and early foundations of a building under the existing site. The church was built in 1789 and rebuilt in 1902-3. The site has been extensively reused for worship over the years: there was a church there in 1642 which was in a ruinous state by 1698. The medieval graveslabs built into the wall are thought to come from a lost chapel at Strachurmore, some post-Reformation gravestones in the churchyard.

Other religious sites in the area include a late medieval chapel dating from 1466 at St Catherines, and the chapel and churchyard at Kilmorie, Strathlachlan. The latter was first recorded in 1543, the burial site was added around 1592, and the chapel was in a ruinous state by 1840. A cross in the churchyard dates from 1500 and it is believed that the site has been in use for hundreds of years before that.

There are numerous recessed platform sites that probably represent the sites of early settlements as well as charcoal-burning platforms of early Christan date (500AD to 1000AD) in the area at Lephinchapel, at Strathlachlan, and up the hill from the Creggans.
   
Important local families include: the Maclachlans, who claim direct descent from the O'Neill kings of Ireland. They once owned much of the land on the east side of Loch Fyne. The 25th Clan Chief, Euan Maclachlan of Maclachlan still resides in the new Castle Lachlan. Remains of the older Castle Lachlan, which was bombarded after Culloden, still stand.

12.2    Associations and Organisations

There has recently been formed (early 2007) in the district a heritage organisation called the The Strachur and District Local History Society. This group aims to record and preserve the traditions, history, culture and recollections of local people for future generations. An early activity will be to prepare records of the graves in the two graveyards.

12.3    Activities and Events

At the time of writing this Profile, the Argyll Forest Landscape Partnership project is seeking funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to enable a programme of landscape heritage development, interpretation and training over the next four years. Strachur is represented on this partnership, and, if the funding bid is successful, it will bring some added resources for developing the historic landscape of the area.

Strategic Issues

Need to record and present local history for the benefit of the community and visitors.

Home » Community Profile » Heritage
Website text and photos: © Strachur Memorial Hall Committee